Saturday, August 15, 2009

Today is day 1, and I am alone in the space for a while.

Morning Beginnings.  This online document will serve as group documentation and sharing board for our small dance project, which starts today.  

Notes on the morning: Alone in the space, get the porta cool going, investigate the windows. Sweep sweep sweep and see some potential.  I have a small vision.  Asking questions. 

This is the first time I've been alone in a movement space in a long while.   Allowing myself to indulge in a process is something I'm grateful for.  

The floor is DIR   TY.

How do we best use this space?  It's full of tables and boxes, home items; the boxes have labels like "credenza."   The walls are white, with some screws left in from paintings.  There's an office area, old mac computers, and a refreshment area with cheetos.   The floors are blue painted and scratched.  I can see the burls in the wood.  I feel good about that.  I can tell this place has a soul. 

Thoughts for tomorrow with my dancer collaborators:
-getting acquainted with the space, have an experience in the space.  Find your perfect spot and make it yours. 
-seeing the details
-task based dancing and movements- highlighted by lights
-finding a nugget per day.  Looking for something salient that sticks from each day. 

-We'll talk about how this is an experiment in community dance building.  Can we create dancing relationships in a few days that encourage and allow honest interactions and knowing inside of an improvised dance?

A few more passing thoughts.... I have both fear and hope about my absence from project based dancing.  I hope that my mind is fresh from different experiences that act like spice to my base of dancing/improvising knowledge.  

I walk over to the small windows behind the porta cool and look across the street and see a girl with orange gloves cleaning out a dumpster, which is opened from the side.  There are boxes and plastic wraps coming out, she's using a hose.  Other men are walking zigzagging across Diversey.

I wonder, how can I make this a local project? 


1 comment:

  1. I'm very interested in the idea of "task-based" dancing and movement. I want to feel like I am performing a specific function as a dancer.

    ReplyDelete